Monday, April 16, 2012

Participation 6: Beth Johnson

Hulu and Youtube to me seem to satisfy different needs. For me, Hulu is for catching up on television shows, where as Youtube is for catching short spinets of online hilarity, instructions, or music. So its difficult to compare the two on anything other than ads and ability to find content.

I watched the Simpsons episode "D'oh-cial Network" on Hulu, it's got ads, but it would have longer ad breaks if I were to watch it on television, so I can't really be too upset. It's very easy to find exactly what I want, it's also easy to browse similar content. After the Simpsons I watched some Futurama, since it was suggested and I didn't have much else to do.

On Youtube, I watched a video on how to make fancy cupcakes.  It began with an ad, but that's to be expected as well, Youtube couldn't be free without selling ad space. It was again easy to search, there were also similar videos suggested. It also suggested grappling videos, which confused me, until I realized my fiances was the youtube account being recognized. I think that because it wasn't my viewing history that was being used, it  was super obvious to me how much of your viewing history is tracked. It's also sort of humorous that  the viewing history is enough to make the leap from cupcakes to flying triangle chokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment