So for the past month or so, I've been attempting to complete quests in order to learn how to gain skills and experience. It took me a few hours to figure out how to navigate the virtual world in a useful way (I spent literally an hour and a half running around in a circle on a mountain with out realizing it). Since there aren't really other players on the beginner quests, there isn't anyone to ask for help. After using the Guild Wars Wiki, I figured out some of the basic ways to uses maps and how to travel between cities. The picture below shows the maps I use; the square one on the left shows me where I am and where I have been, the circular one on the right shows me where I want to go as well as where friends/enemies are.
Once I could get where I needed to go, I would get attacked (I'm still working on how to attack/defend myself). I can handle one attacker at a time (as long as they are a lower level than I am), but usually end up dead when there more attackers. This makes quests complicated, because they usually take place in hostile territory, and I always seem to end up wandering into a cluster of enemies. I asked a friend how I'm supposed to deal with multiple attacker situations, and he told me I needed to get a second profession. So I started learning Elemental skills. These are based around elements, and affect things made out of other elements differently. For example, after I learned "Air Javelin" I was able to defeat monsters made of stone more easily (apparently air is the element opposite of earth). Below is the screen shot of the prompt that led to my character becoming an Elementalist. It's in the same place as the last screen shot because it's the only place I have done quests in so far.
I've completed the quests associated with the basic Elementalist skills (that's how I got "Air Javelin"), so now in addition to my sword skills (gash, and sever) I have a few elemental skills (air javelin, lightning blind, and firestorm). I'm progressing through some quests I originally couldn't get through, but I've also begun some new quests that I can't seem to complete. My main problem now is getting attacked by surprise when I'm just trying to navigate, and coming to certain portions of quests that require I defeat groups of enemies (like 4 or 5 bandits) at once.
The game is getting to be frustrating because it takes hours to complete what are simple tasks to experienced players. For example, my current quest (to bring a wizard back to his brother) requires I navigate my way around a mountain (which happens to be the home of tons of ice and stone monsters). The paths are sort of a maze, and the cave I need to go through is hidden. It takes me at least a half an hour to get up the mountain and find the cave, longer if I get lost at all (which I do quite often). Once I get into the cave, and past the first few pairs of monsters, I run into a gang of bandits. I always end up being killed by these guys, sometimes I take three or four out with me, but I never survive. I've watched a friend do the same quest all the way through (in one shot!); apparently the point of the quest is to teach you how to fight groups. After the group that I can't get past, there are more groups! I'm going to keep working at it, hopefully I'll figure it out soon! Below is a picture of my character on the mountain fighting an ice monster....notice that she has a wand now (to do more damage with elemental skills) instead of a sword or hammer, but still has a warrior shield (to take less damage, which is a warrior quality).



No comments:
Post a Comment