Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Practicum Post #1: Media Based Social Networking - The Beginning

For my practicum assignment, I was assigned media based social networking.  This is meant for sites which allow a user to not only network themselves and their identity but also to produce new content for others to consume and network based on that personal content as well as shared opinions and interests.  With this in mind, I have decided that my practicum will chronicle my attempt to become a trusted YouTube personality.

YouTube is good for more things than just videos of morons hurting themselves and cats being cute.  What has come from it, is allowing a forum for users to voice their opinions and interests in distributed video blogs.  For a few years now, I have had a YouTube channel that I use to put up short films I have made for fun over the years.  But this practicum has allowed me an opportunity to try something new and different with this website.  I can now advertise myself; to go beyond simply exhibition and capture that interaction and networking.

In case you are confused by what I mean by "YouTube Personality," I can clarify.  There are many people I have become accustom to watching videos of who spend their time reviewing media, teaching how-to's, and giving advice to anyone who chooses to listen.  For example, Daily Grace has made a career out of doing these things in a quirky and adorable way 5 days a week.  Others are more niche oriented: SF Debris reviews Science Fiction Films and TV, FPS Russia reviews Weaponry for a Gamer audience, and Spill.com review New Release films.  If I want to set myself apart and find an audience, I need a good concept.

What I have decided to attempt is to more review orientated video blog.  And since I spend a lot of my time watching copious amounts of television and films, it will be geared towards that.  What I am thinking to do that really sets me apart from the others is to review media, which is not typically meant for a male audience, from a male perspective.  In my life, I have tried not to discriminate what things I watch even if they are typically meant "for girls" and I often think that this gives me an interesting point-of-view when it comes to their quality.  So I hope to gain an audience who will be interested in what I have to say about these things.

If I am successful in gaining an audience, I will open myself up to counter-opinions and questioning, or even requests for new things to review.  As a safety net, I will attempt to build this audience through other social networks I am already a member of.  Hopefully it can grow to be something truly interesting.  The channel has been made (HERE) and I hope to have some content up very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment