Sunday, February 19, 2012

Practicum 1: Location-based services: FourSquare

Prior to using Four Square, I thought that it was creepy. Why would you want to invite people to stalk you? Weird. However, after using Four Square for the past week and a half, I have come to understand the intent and appeal of it.Four Square isn't meant to broadcast your GPS coordinates every time you walk down the block. However, it could be useful to let your friends know that you are at Brothers on a Saturday night, rather than sending out a mass text and being on your phone all night. Other than bar hopping, I can easily see students sharing the location of the library that they are at, as an invitation to their friends to come meet up and study.

General things that I like/dislike about Four Square:

Like:
- incentive based: getting points is fun! also, my new goal is to be the Mayor of Union South (I work there, so that should be pretty easy)
- fairly simple interface, easy to operate and find information
Dislike:
- Facebook integration. I choose to keep my Four Square separate from my Facebook because there are a lot of people on Facebook that do not need to know where I am. No thank you.
- "You've been here 6 times" this is kind of depressing. While the idea of Mayor can be exciting, it also makes me sad because its reminding me of how boring my life is.

I assume that after using Four Square a lot, "checking in" will become habitual. However, I am not yet at this point. I usually have to consciously remember to "check in" at a place.

On next week's episode of Practicum- Four Square, I will use a Four Square sponsored deal! Yay!

Oh yes, and if any of you use Four Square, please feel free to find me! You can find me as: Michelle Polly
None of my friends use Four Square and it's kind of boring being a loner.

2 comments:

  1. This is exciting to me that you're Four Squaring. I can't bring myself to enter into another time-sucking social media, but have friends who are obsessed.

    I also have the hesitation out of worry about the constant location updates getting annoying to people when it gets posted to Facebook/Twitter(ie: my friend is the Mayor of Pitaya and tags me every time we're shopping, which is linked to her/my Twitter which is something my dad follows which leads him to call me and reprimand me for shopping so much...). I'll be curious to see if you find any benefit to this function as the semester rolls on!

    Also, check out the University's page, they've got a huge Four Square initiative this semester and it might be interesting/rewarding to see what they're up to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elle, I actually saw the Grainger-Capitol Cafe is offering freebies for the Mayor of Grainger. Exciting! Also, if you're a Four Square-er as well, please add me! I need friends...

    ReplyDelete