When I began this Practicum, I set out with a rather grand goal in mind: to become a YouTube celebrity. Now you see, I never really expected that to be a fully realized goal. I knew it would be a longshot. So I am not disappointed to say that I have not become a trusted YouTube personality.
Though, I have learned a lot of the industry, so to speak. First, that YouTube has become a lot more advanced since I first joined in many, many years ago. I loved looking at the statistics for my videos: viewer demographics and trends, and things of that nature. It was so interesting. When I initially was planning out my practicum, I had an loose plan to try and cater my videos to one specific demographic with the intend of creating repeat viewers. It seems that I might have been successful in doing that. My audience, however small, definitively skews female (59%). The largest age demographic also happened to be women 45-54 years old. That's a bit older than I had anticipated (especially since I reviewed Glee and The Hunger Games). I'm happy that the clustering is pretty definitive.
I also learned that having a regular supply of new content is very hard to produce. I optimistically tried to put out a new video every 1-2 weeks. That did not happen. I made only 5 in the entire semester. I'm a senior, and therefore very busy. I did not have the time to do more than what I did. When I look at the people I used as inspiration such as Daily Grace, I am astounded by their commitment. Daily Grace puts out 5 videos in a week. Which leads me to believe that if you really want to become famous of YouTube, you have to treat it as you would your job, as your number 1 priority. That's just not something I could have done.
Lastly, I really enjoyed doing this. It was fun to have an outlet for my opinions. I think I'm going to keep the channel around after the class is over.
No comments:
Post a Comment