I attempted to change part of the Reddit Wikipedia page regarding demographics, but it appears that the option to edit the page has been removed from the website (my guess: to stop haters from hatin'...) Instead, I chose to update the page on social news as that was the overarching umbrella under which my practicum project sat.
Early on during the project, there was a controversy when Reddit took down a subreddit where people posted underage pictures in a sexual manner (called /r/jailbait.) There was quite a bit of backlash in that people generally agreed that it was disturbing/disgusting, but not worthy of being deleted (citing free speech.) Eventually, it was officially banned stating it was "obscene" and therefore not protected by free speech.
(I added: Free speech debates have arisen due to the shut down of obscene "subreddits" (including /r/jailbait, a collection of sexually suggestive underage pictures.) [4])
No comments:
Post a Comment