Practicum 3:
About 3 days
after I made my profile I was invited to participate in tagged groups by
existing members. I joined a forum that mimicked an online support group for
young adults suffering from depression and began reading some of the thread conversations.
I was faced with an ethical dilemma as I felt I was deceiving these people by
pretending to suffer from an illness. Even though I wasn’t trolling or making
inappropriate remarks I still was reserved from fully engaging in this
supportive conversation because I felt like I was a fraud. People were
revealing highly personal feelings and situations and I found myself extremely
uncomfortable participating in the chat.
Due to the extremely intimate and personal content that some were
revealing I almost found myself subconsciously judging of some of the peoples
situation and I couldn’t help but jump to conclusions about what these people
must be like based off stereotypes of some of the things they were saying even
though I really knew nothing about them. For instance a few of the people participating in the
depression support group reminded me of those whiny people who everyone is
friends with on facebook whose emo song lyric statuses pop up in your mini feed
every now. Everyone knows at least one person like this, someone who over
shares their private life and relationship status with the world via social
media. I don’t doubt the severity of these peoples problems however the fact
that some people used an anonymous iMedix chat (instead of talking to friends
of going to a doctor) made me slightly skeptical. On the flipside of this, even
when I thought about asking quesitons to others or engaging in conversation
because anyone can make a profile and join these forums there is no guarantee
that the information I am receiving is accurate. What if I actually was
diabetic and took advice from someone who misrepresented them as overly
knowledgeable on the topic? I feel like I would have the common sense to
distinguish fact form fiction but take someone like my Aunt Judy; this woman
literally will try any remedy her friends ‘swear by’ to cure common ailments no
matter how bizarre they might sound. I feel the combination of an aloof and
trusting personality like my aunts combined with the false credibility of
iMedix could potentially be disastrous and maybe lead to a misdiagnosis. Over
time I hope to actually build up to a point to message someone on iMedix and ask
for advice rather than remain passively observant in a support chat.
Here is a screen shot of the bare bones profile created using a fake name 'Ashley1'. I have continued to add ailments that I am interested in 'seeking support' with to the tags section as the project progresses.

No comments:
Post a Comment