Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Practicum 2: Rozell, online communities

So I realize that I have been slacking in my blog posts about my Second Life adventures.  It's not that I haven't been playing, just that to me it comes off as more of a game than an assignment.  For this blog post, I am comparing the difference between playing an online community like Second Life to a game-created community offline like The Sims.  Originally, The Sims was the basis for me wanting to choose Second Life (besides it's influence in cultural media like on CSI: NY or on True Life).  The Sims is a virtual world played off a disc on your computer.  You control all aspects of communication and interactions because you play all of the players.


Unlike The Sims, Second Life doesn't allow you to control every social interaction.  Since, it's an online game people are allowed to contact you via direct chat or walking up to you in any social scene in the world of Second Life.  My problem is that I don't feel as safe playing Second Life as I do playing the Sims because I never know who I am talking to.


No comments:

Post a Comment