Saturday, April 28, 2012

Practicum Post 6: Editing Tumblr's Wikipedia

The job of contributing what I learned about Tumblr to its Wikipedia page came with some unexpected restrictions. The actual Tumblr article page has a semi-protection lock that prevents a majority of Wikipedia users who are unregistered as well as not autoconfirmed or confirmed from editing the page. The lock was probably put in place due to multiple edits using false information. I was surprised to see this lock on the article page considering the article itself is not very long. There is only a brief summary along with a paragraph each on its history, usage, finances and recognition. Luckily Tumblr has a "Talk" page which allows anyone to contribute an edit in hopes of improving Wikipedia's coverage of the internet and blogging. The Talk:Tumblr page covers a variety of topics about Tumblr from its advertisement to its comparison of other blogging platforms. The page also has edit requests for the semi-protected article page. After learning how to properly edit, cite and sign my contribution to the Talk:Tumblr Wikipedia page from the helpful "how-tos" that Wikipedia provides, I proceeded to give an edit. I provided a quote from Tumblr's About page in regards to how people are using Tumblr. I placed it under a heading titled "Usage" in hopes that it will be added under the same heading on the semi-protected page. My edit can be found at the bottom of the page from this link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Tumblr I may contribute more to the Talk:Tumblr page in regards to Tumblr's new "Community Guidelines," but I want to be careful how I summarize them so it does not get removed from the Talk page.

No comments:

Post a Comment