Saturday, April 21, 2012
Practicum Post 5: Gaining Recognition on Tumblr
I am a huge fan of the fox show New Girl. It has a great cast, great characters and even better writers. My love for the show is also attributed to the fact that Zooey Deschanel is one of my all time favorite actresses. A week ago I found a great shot of the cast posing for publicity photos. I posted the picture on my Tumblr and didn't think too much about it afterwards. A day later I went onto Tumblr and discovered that among the New Girl fans on Tumblr, this photo has been liked and reblogged like crazy. For the most part, when ever I post a new photo on Tumblr, I get only a few notes relating to the post. This time I was very surprised and lucky to find such a strong outcome. I have currently accumulated 303 notes with this photo; a mix between reblogs and likes on Tumblr. It has really got me to consider what caused such a strong reaction to this post. Was it the fact that this photo was so new and not widely seen? Or did I label it with appropriate tags so that any fans of New Girl could see this photo on Tumblr? Or was I just really lucky and discovered this photo at the right place and right time? I think it's realistic to think that this case follows all of the above. Although I didn't really accumulate any more followers from this post, I still got a lot of satisfaction from the fact that sharing something I found and liked was recognized and shared by many other Tumblr users. It makes me feel included in this New Girl fan Tumblr community. If I work at finding more original photos or even unique posts relating just to New Girl, I may be able to gain more followers. I'll have to spend less time reblogging and liking other Tumblr posts and look else where at finding material of my interest. What I have appreciated the most about using Tumblr is the fact that I have created my own personal microblog site that is filled with most of my interests and favorite aesthetics. Scrolling through the archive really sums up what I find interesting without revealing the personal information that Facebook gives in my profile page.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment