For those unfamiliar with either website, the basic idea of both Reddit and digg is that these websites be used by users in order to basically "like" or "dislike" content such as news, entertainment, videos, etc. While using both Reddit and digg, I've found that the basic format is the same between both of the sites, but the user interaction has been completely different in my experience thus far.
The similarities are pretty obvious. The ability to upvote/downvote or digg moves content towards the top so that it can be seen by other users. The design of each site is rather similar with the ability to like/dislike on the left side. Design-wise, Reddit seems a bit cleaner and easier to use while digg is a bit cluttered. Although, I will say I do like that digg allows you to watch a video that is embedded into the website rather than linking to it.
Reddit is the self-proclaimed "front page of the internet" and it certainly is arguable that it could be. I say this due not only to the fact that the front page of Reddit displays currently trending pictures/discussions/videos, but it also has a more vocal and active user base. Users (or "redditors") tend to comment on topics more than on digg. When signing into digg, I find that there are only a handful of comments on a particular topic rather than the hundreds that are usually on the frontpage of Reddit.
digg also allows for their users to directly publish stories to their Facebook and Twitter friends (a feature which Reddit does not allow.) This seems to be where the majority of people hold their discussions; on their own social networks. This can be an advantage for some as well as a disadvantage to others. Personally, I like keeping my Facebook life separate from other social media/networking sites. But I know many people who like to publish all kinds of things to their Facebook accounts from other websites to show off their interests.
Finally the content on each site is similar, but different in ways that they can be found. News content is on both sites (which is actually how I usually find out more about breaking news) but I'd say digg is a bit more focused on the news aspect. Reddit, on the other hand, is more focused on it's core interests (kittens, boobs, and atheism to name a few...) But you can subscribe to "subreddits" which people post to about certain topics (IE: video game news goes to /r/gaming, male fashion advice to /r/malefashionadvice, etc.) This allows for people to create their own subreddits for TV shows and other interests so that you can customize your experience.
Next blog post will most likely focus on either real life implications of the websites or delve further into the demographics that the websites each have.
No comments:
Post a Comment