Monday, April 9, 2012

Practicum- Cashin


One of the coolest sites I found as I was researching my topic (“social and political activists”) was change.org.  Here you can create your own petition for a certain cause and also join others’ petitions.  I thought it was a really neat idea at first, even without being physically there to sign the petition, you can sign it online. This seemed to greatly increase the support and spreadability of petitions. But as I was looking around on other pages, it seemed all too easy to fill in the “sign” box and not really do anything else.  This reminds me of the “slacktivism” idea we talked about in lecture and discussion, and it seemed this is site would be very conducive to this idea.

Here is a link to the page:  https://www.change.org/ you can still search without being a member

My question is: how willing would you be to sign these petitions? Do you feel you would limit yourself to a certain number?

And would you be more inclined to visit a certain site for a specific cause to sign or make a donation? Or would you rather do it through an easy-to-use site like this one?

2 comments:

  1. Here is my petition. Feel free to sign! :) http://www.change.org/petitions/crackdown-on-illegal-ivory-trade?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition&utm_term=share_with_facebook_friends

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I signed up for an account on change.org, I would be willing to sign as many petitions as I believed in. I wouldn't necessarily limit myself to a certain number, instead I would limit myself to the petitions that I felt truly passionate about. Overall, if I discovered that I only found a few petitions on change.org that I was willing to sign, I'd look elsewhere for specific sites dedicated solely to those causes.

    ReplyDelete