Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Practicum 2, MUD: Combat Training

So it's been awhile since I've revisited the Aardwolf MUD as Zuleika, and I figured I'd better stop procrastinating before I forget everything I learned two months ago. Turns out I DID forget everything I learned two months ago! Good thing I took all those notes!

I got back into my Academy training and my next class was Combat Training! I was excited for this one because it obviously sounds pretty cool, and I also learned a ton of new commands like "scan" which shows visible monsters and "consider" which gives me an estimate of my chances of winning a fight against a monster. One of my favorite commands I learned was "wimpy" which Commander Dahr, the instructor, explained is a command to flee automatically after my hit points fall below a certain number. So for example, typing "wimpy 30" sets Zuleika to flee if I get below 30. I thought this was a pretty funny command because of the fact that they called it the 'wimpy command.' After learning some other combat-related commands, Commander Dahr assigned me this task:



It was actually kind of fun to walk around and kill things. It was pretty basic stuff, scan for where they are, read that there are vipers are north from me, type "north," type "consider small viper," and then attacking. I killed a few before I finally got the viper skin.



And this wouldn't be a MUD practicum post by Hadieh unless there was at least one mention of me getting lost. I found that, for me, the REAL task was actually finding my way BACK to combat training room! Got some help from a nice Newbie Adviser though, and it all worked out. After completing the task, I got a sweet belt made from the retrieved viper skin and also 5,000 more gold! I'm not really sure what I can use the gold is for yet, but I guess we will have to wait and see. Hopefully I can learn enough and get through this training fast enough to actually play the game at some point. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment