Sunday, April 22, 2012

Practicum 2 (Cashin)


I woke up to an exciting email today; I had received 47 signatures on my petition in just the past week!  This was a complete shock to me. Having focused my research on other sites, I had not been checking my change.org petition.  I have now received a total of 382 signatures, and I have not done anything new to encourage people to sign since the first time I created the petition.  This made me a little skeptical.  My petition is not as nice, nor as official as many of the petitions I have seen.  I don’t have a long description or an email address that the petition is being sent to.  Most of my signatures have not come from my Facebook friends either.  I have gotten 7 “reasons for signing.”  Out of 382, this is not that many which making me realize that ‘slacktivism’ might be more prevalent than I thought on this site. One of my supporters posted his message in Spanish, which is also an example of how this site easily defies geographic boundaries.  I added a link to my petition about a recent news article related to elephant poaching… check it out and sign it if you haven’t yet! J  My goal for my next post is to see how many signings I can get if I actively support it through twitter and the other online social activist communities (posts on these soon to come). 

Here is another link to my page:

http://www.change.org/petitions/crackdown-on-illegal-ivory-trade

No comments:

Post a Comment