My computer use last night started when I got home from a group meeting. I first checked the weather on my iPhone to see if it was going to rain within the next hour. Then I took my iPod with me and utilized it for roughly a half hour to listen to music as I went on a run. When I got back to my apartment building, I then pounded a code into the digital entrance system to gain access back inside. I quickly grabbed my computer when I got home and checked Facebook and both my WiscMail and Gmail accounts. Then I proceeded to use the popcorn feature of my digital microwave to make a quick snack before studying. After eating and reading a textbook for a while, my roommate and I utilized both our television and DVD player to watch the movie Taken. I finished off my night of computer usage with setting three alarms for 7:30, 7:35 and 7:40 on my phone.
Keeping track of every computerized device that I used in an evening really made me think about how digitized our culture has become. It's hard to believe that people used to get by without constantly using their computers, phones or music-playing devices to entertain themselves and make everyday tasks easier. I also thought about whether or not this reliance is a good or bad thing. Is it better or worse for us to have constant access to technologies that can play a distracting role? Did people learn better before when they didn't have access to a television that would allow them to stop reading and start watching (as I did last night)? It will be interesting to see how the answers to these questions form and change as technology continues to advance and society continues to rely on it more and more!
No comments:
Post a Comment