Sunday, March 25, 2012

Practicum Post 5, Lindholm

I'm wrapping up interviews that I'm collecting for a remix production (or what I'm calling a documentary) of the one year anniversary of the protests, highlighting activists who are still fighting everyday for the labor movement. I was temporarily set back on doing interviews, as the focus on my camera went on the fritz and had to be repaired. 

Some of the things I've been doing throughout this whole process relate closely to what we're discussing this week in class. For every interview, I have the interviewee sign and witness a contract that states I have the rights to use the footage of their interview in my project and that they sever legal rights if the project were to make some money or place in a film festival. I'm also gathering location agreements from every location I film at that's not public property. Recently I filmed the one year birthday bash of the Autonomous Solidarity Organization, a grassroots organization that spawned in the Capitol rotunda last Spring, at the High Noon Salon. I also filmed an interview at Union South, as well as John Nichols' book event at the Goodman Center. I have contracts for each of those locations stating I can use the footage of their private establishment without any legal issues later on in the process. 

I'm also including footage of the 2011 Capitol occupation from the Madison TAA, so I'm currently in the process of getting permissions to use their footage. 

In order to get compensation per "hit" of your video on YouTube, your video has to use 100% original material. This is why I've been vigilant of diegetic music and street music that's playing while I'm filming an event or person. I've filmed a lot of folk, grassroots organized bands that have been playing original music at the Capitol and elsewhere in public to avoid using Copyrighted music in my project. 









No comments:

Post a Comment