Sunday, February 26, 2012

Practicum Post 2: Gaining Notice on your Tumblr

Throughout the past two weeks on Tumblr I've done some serious exploring to figure out the ins and outs of the blogging site. So far I've gained a list of tags to follow along with profiles of people and companies that post things I'm interested in. Most of the blogs I follow post vintage images from the fifties, sixties and seventies. Also many of the websites that I like to visit have a Tumblr themselves. It has been an exciting experience to find tumblrs to follow.
After spending a large amount of time scrolling through many photos and posts and reblogging the images that I liked, I started to look else where to post original material. Many photos that I like to add to my tumblr come from Pinterest. It's nice to see when you post original material that others will like it or reblog what you have posted. There is a bit of gratification that comes from seeing others reblog and like your posts. It's close to the situation of meeting someone new with the same interests as yourself.
I am also trying hard to find things to take pictures of with my phone to post on Tumblr. It adds a more immediate aspect to my tumblr and can show things that I personally interact with. My goal is to post more unique and original photos to make my tumblr stand out and gain a greater following.
In my presentation tomorrow I'll be discussing how one's identity is shown through their Tumblr. To lead off the discussion, how do you guys think people represent themselves through their Tumblr? Also what do you all think is the best way to gain a large following on Tumblr?

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to see where you take this project. I personally have multiple Tumblrs. One is a resume blog that simply holds all my portfolio pieces and links to my professional portfolio website, and then I have a personal Tumblr that I use to post things I like (not necessarily in any particular theme). I also started a Tumblr to connect to the website/video blog I'm building for the practicum project. I've noticed, also, that the blogs who post original material get the most follows over time, and the more activity on your page is dependent on how often you post. I've been trying to "tumble" while at rallies and events, and when I do that, I've noticed my activity goes up. And like you mentioned in your presentation, I wouldn't have any followers if it wasn't for the magic of tags, particularly the popular "wiunion" tag that went viral last Spring.

    ReplyDelete