Monday, February 6, 2012

Practicum, Post 1, Lindholm

My practicum project for this semester is the Video Remix. This project that I've been wanting to have time to do for about a year now. I've been deeply involved in the protests at the Wisconsin State Capitol over the budget repair bill and many more of Scott Walker's policies.

Because I've filmed and witnessed a lot of inspiring speeches and beautiful moments, as well as police brutality and blatant injustice, I wanted to make a website and independent documentary company that films protests and other forms of activism around the state and country and upload a mini-documentary series to the site.

So far, I'm THIS CLOSE to having the website up and running on my own domain. It's a flash-based site that I made on www.wix.com. I currently own the domain www.thepeoplesreel.com, but have to transfer rights over. Right now the website can be seen at www.wix.com/thepeoplesreel/revolution.


 I've uploaded all of the videos I've made since last year about the protests.


I made a "Getting Involved" tab to promote some of the actions that myself and my boyfriend have been involved in this past year. The People's Mic is an opportunity for any person to have their voice heard, to have their voice amplified. 


The Madison Activist Tour is a grassroots effort to bring Madison activists on a tour of the State of Wisconsin in order to educate people of the upcoming recall election again Gov. Scott Walker, as well as educating people on the new voter ID laws in Wisconsin.


Direct Action is the most fun to film and the most fun to take part in. It's also the most important part of a movement. If you have no action, you have no movement. Many of the activists in Madison have been getting arrested for ridiculous things. Personal friends of mine have been kept in jail for days without needed medication, sometimes put in solitary confinement with no food, and ticketed for silently filming lawmakers from the Assembly gallery, banging a drum in the Capitol rotunda and/or silently holding a copy of the Constitution while in the Senate gallery. 


This is the about page. It's pretty basic. I'm working on making it more interactive.


As many of you know, making a film isn't cheap. Organizing a protest isn't cheap either. I set up a donations page with a pay pal link to an account I'm working on setting up to accept donations for supplies.




The contact page is a really important asset of the project as a whole and website specifically. Although it looks pretty simple, I had to activate a Gmail account, YouTube account, Twitter and Facebook page. Soon, I hope to set up a UStream link to the page, so that when there's a direct action event happening at the Capitol or elsewhere, I can be streaming it live to my viewers on the website.



 That's all for now. Until next time.


Steph




4 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting project. I have always been interested in the protests going on since I am kind of out of the loop. The website is also really cool. Any suggestions on what to look for or watch first?

    ReplyDelete
  2. February 14th is coming up really soon. That's the one year anniversary of the protests. There's an entire week's events planned already. Check out this Facebook page if you'd like to get involved. https://www.facebook.com/events/293479524043304/

    The next few things I'll be working on is editing the footage I gather from those events, as well as interviews I got while in Florida about who people would be voting for in the GOP primary. Those were really interesting, surprisingly a lot of Santorum supporters (Like.... Really?) and everyone from Canada loves Ron Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! We've got loads to chat about. I'm very engrained in this world of video production, and would gladly give you some pointers if you want. Last year, I had made a video about the protests too.

    Also, I'm your presentation partner. Perhaps we could put a video of some sort together?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally 100% down for a presentation video. I just bought an insanely expensive Panasonic camcorder basically so that I can make this documentary look awesome. Check it out: http://www.panasonic.com/business/provideo/ag-ac160.asp
    And, yes. Help is always welcomed. If you want, I'll probably need help this coming week on the 14th and 15th for the anniversary protests.

    ReplyDelete