Sunday, February 12, 2012

Participation 3: Techno-Panics -- Patrick Farrell

Prior to this assignment I had never heard of "iDosing."  Upon learning about the concept, I was extremely skeptical of the supposed effects tones and beats could possibly do to an average listener.  I believe that certain music can have a calming effect, but from personal experience, those effects were all psychological, not neurological.

Upon doing a quick YouTube search for "iDosing videos" I came across more videos which were news reports and opinion vlogs debating iDosing than actual iDosing videos.  I had no idea this was such an issue.  When it seemed like I had found what I was looking for, I clicked on one at random.  The video was entitled "Digital Drugs - Digital Sunshine." Don't let the name fool you though, the poster of the video makes in very clear in the provided disclaimer that this video does not get one high, but is meant simply for "Brainwave Entrainment," whatever that is.  I did as the video instructed me to do: I put in headphones, and I did not allow myself to be interrupted.  Then the video began ...

... and nothing happened.  No, wait, that's wrong.  Something happened.  I was made immensely bored for ten minutes, and then angry that I had wasted time I could have spend doing something productive.  This entire concept seems like a giant hoax and/or overreaction from the moral watchdogs out there.  I have no idea why something that sounded like the score to Forbidden Planet is being touted as a recreational drug or miracle depression cure.  If "The Brown Note" wasn't a real thing, then certainly this isn't either.  In my humble opinion, this may be a case of some people wanting something so badly that they are convincing themselves that it's real, akin to my earlier argument of psychological versus neurological.  Kids these days ...

No comments:

Post a Comment