Sunday, February 12, 2012

Participation 3: Techno-panics, Madison Oie


Prior to this class, I had never heard of i-Dosing. Once I looked it up on Wikipedia, I immediately felt a degree of techno-panic. Could this computer application really induce drug-like trances? Can it really have medical effects on your body and brain? What would happen if my younger brother and sister got their hands on a program like this?

Once doing more research into the reviews and science behind i-Doser, I realized that this program is not as legitimate as it seems. It is not scientifically proven to cause any nuerological state and most people who reviewed the iPhone app deemed it a ‘massive waste’ or ‘a scam’.

I felt dumb for feeling initial techno-panic regarding i-Doser, especially when we are specifically learning about the over-exaggeration and criminalization of new media. However, I understand how the reactions to programs like this may get blown our of proportion. First of all, there are many conflicting articles and opinions regarding i-Doser online. Most claim that it does not have real consequences on the brain but others convincingly explain firsthand experiences of getting high from i-Doser. Even legitimate new sources, such as the Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1296282/I-dosing-How-teenagers-getting-digitally-high-music-download-internet.html) reported that i-Dose had real effects.  If I were a parent, I can imagine being very frightened by these stories. In addition, I imagine that a lot of information regarding these programs circulates via word of mouth which can lead to exaggerations and rumors. So although I don’t support techno-panic, I completely understand how easily it may be generated when the older generation is subjected to news stories and rumors. Ultimately, I believe that fear of the unknown causes techno-panic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment