I decided to spend a few minutes on the web site Chat Roulette
and I can definitely understand why people unfamiliar with the website would
harbor anxiety about younger child being exposed to a site like this. Besides
confirming the fact why I never go on this website, I also got a refresher
course on male anatomy; on a good day, one in fifty people will whip it out. On
a bad day, one in five. This is easily the site's biggest problem, you know,
unless you’re into overweight, hairy, middle age perverts. Even the people
without their lap rockets out appeared to be mostly jerks.
Although I personally consider MySpace ‘tweeny’ and outdated,
I can see some redeeming value; for instance my cousin who has a band avidly
uses MySpace to promote his music and maintain a fan base. However, unlike
MySpace, I feel Chat Roulette has little redeeming value. In fact, you can
basically break down Chat Roulette into four main groups: The nudes, the jerks,
the boring and the weird. Those people who actually showed their faces appeared
to be isolated in dark rooms, lonely, and just looking for some mediocre human connection.
While the weirdos aren't exactly ideal, they can be entertaining in a very
juvenile way.
Although social interaction via a site like chat roulette is
not my cup of tea I can understand why others might use it. Similar to certain
people who use second life or chat rooms to live out an alter ego and connect
with others anonymously in online communities, Chat roulette provides a space
for people to connect randomly with people around the world. People who are
normally shy in person might get a thrill out of some of the interaction that
goes on on the site with the comfort of being able to hit “next” if they begin
to feel uncomfortable.
No comments:
Post a Comment